Wednesday, October 7, 2015

July & August: Goodbye BYU Sports Camps

These pictures are making me feel quite nostalgic. 

The past two summers have been wonderful. the best times of my life. 
I met many lovely people and felt the spirit in miraculous ways. 


Every monday night we had field games, but several Mondays it rained, and we had Field games in the IPF. This is us bringing Kyle a Creamie as we walked the perimeter, keeping lil children safe and stuff. 


I like leaves. 
BYU has some pretty cool kinds. 


an update on Cornmeal:
this was probably a month after the incident. Healing nicely, but definitely going to leave a scar. I stopped bandaging it, but reapplied neosporin every night and aloe vera every morning. 


I was a real happy camper most of the time. 
I LOVED that job. 


There were a couple of instances this summer where, as a DC, i needed to take over for a counselor for one night because of extenuating circumstances. 
This was one of them. 
they called me Nana. hahaha. 
i was taing this picture of a heart-shaped leaf for Karl, and they all jumped in. 
They thought my engagement was SOOOOOO romantic and asked me nonstop questions about him and the wedding plans. 

I loved it. 


5 weeks after:


I continued to send Karl cheesy I love yous via text. 
This is cookie crumbs. 


Speaking of Karl, i watched Tarzan and realized that baby Karl looks EXACTLY LIKE KARL. 

sometimes, Karl will be sitting across the room while we both do homework. He'll reach out both of his hands as far as he can, and then open and close his fists really fast, motioning that he wants a hug. I think it's cute. 

In this frame of the movie, Tarzan is doing the SAME hand motions. aka my husband is baby tarzan. 
Karl hated the comparison. 
Now it's a joke. 
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Baby Tarzan. 


ahh, DC life. many a chapter of Jane Austen was read while on Door duty. 


a little harder to decipher, but an I heart you, nonetheless. 

plus leaves in general because there are SO MANY COOL KINDS on BYU campus. 
A+ for landscapers. 



6 weeks after:


I passed this tree every day, and every day i thought to myself, "that tree looks like an angry muppet."


this one? Sam the "eagle"?


whatever. 


can these two please be a thing? K, cool. Erake fo life. 



dat SAB view, doe.
mmm, those mountains in the summer. 


btw:
a typical meal at the cannon center (although i usually had a bowl of salad instead of an additional entree. cause you know, veggies an stuff. )


I love good counselors. 



I love them so much that i made up an award for them with the help of the DCs and head counselors. IT was called, "the Real MVC" Most valuable counselor. 

At the end of each week, the DCs and Head counselors, during their daily morning meeting,  would talk about counselors who impressed us. Ones we were consistently pleased with, ones who were obedient and trustworthy, all the scout motto and such. 
Each DC would name one of their counselors from the week who they thought deserved to be the MVC, and why. 
We'd all discuss. 1) the counselor in question must not have ever been a source of disobedience or defiance. 2) The counselor must have always been with their campers when they were supposed to have been. 3) We usually picked one girl and one boy, but one week there were two guys and one girl.
Every weekend i went to DI and got smei-matching super weird gifts for them that i definitely should have taken pictures of, but i forgot. 

these are from the last week:




hooray!


I'm a fan of making cards. 
I'm a fan of drawing dragons. 
they often merge. like this one:


The last week of camp, so many of our zorb balls had popped that we only had a few left to blow up! It was a cinch and only took us a few minutes. most of the DCs hopped into them and had a chat. My chat turned into a nap. 


meanwhile, Karl was loving his last transfer teaching ASL missionaries. 


TWO MONTHS after incident:



one rainy monday night, we had bounce houses and a velcro wall for field games. i tried the velcro wall and got STUCK TO THE WALL BY MY HAIR. i got off the wall, but fell down and then my hair was stuck to the velcro suit that i was wearing. I hobbled to the bathroom and slowly tried to peel it away. I was groaning and crying, when a tiny Asian woman came out of a stall, gasped, and said, "oh no! I help you!"
SHE PROCEEDED TO RIP THE VELCRO SUIT AWAY FROM MY HEAD, TAKING A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF HAIR WITH IT. 
I yelped, and then slowly peeled the remaining section away from the velcro, withOUT the woman's help. I looked like hermione for the rest of the evening. 

and my scalp hurt. 

I finished another journal. 


I spoke five words to Steve Young while he dropped his daughter off at a camp. 



I compiled this package with the help of a lot of other counselors after our dear friend's mother passed away and she needed some happy things. 


a big drawback of doing 'flashback' blog posts is that they lack the passion of the moment. I remember feeling so many beautiful things while this picture was taken. 
I love these people. 
This was the best summer i've ever had. 
I wish i could say more, but just look at our smiles!
The picture speaks for itself. 



and one last thing.

"oh, you're trying to sleep past 7:45 am? LET ME PLAY YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE. THERE IS NO BETTER TIME TO BLOW DIRT AND LEAVES THAN NOW."



1 comment :

Love Notes: