Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Boys Who Proved Me Wrong

- On the 17th, i sped to Walmart so i could buy a book before we escaped to Youth Conference. And i ran into this boy named Adrian who i met my junior year of high school at this "breaking down the walls" activity. i was the group leader and we were talking about some pretty deep things. Adrian really opened up to the group even though he previously had been really shy. for the rest of the school year and the one following, we'd wave congenially to one another and chit chat when the opportunity allowed. pleasant acquaintances. He is one of the few people i didn't mind making small talk with because i genuinely enjoy him.
               I saw him at Walmart that day. so i waved, without really thinking about it. and then i thought he didn't remember me. that happens to me a lot, because i remember everyone, even if we were never actually friends. But then he came right up to me and we talked for a good ten minutes while i stood in line. and i enjoyed it. and i'm happy for him that he has a job and direction. It never occurred to me that i would see him again. I didn't expect to. So the sense of fulfillment when we smiled and parted ways again was surprising, but sweet. and i'm grateful for it.

-similarly, last week at jenae's end of the year FFA banquet i passed my friend Ryan Beavers in the hall. I was late, so i wasn't looking at faces as i brisked past but i heard him say, "Melissa Hansen!" and i turned around already smiling because i knew his voice, even after two whole years. we practically ran to each other and it was the kind of hug that has no reservations. completely elated, we laughed there in the echoy hallway for a minute. catching up on life. He's a husband and father on a generous baseball scholarship in Texas, and i am proud for him. He's doing everything he dreamed of. we hugged again, a tight squeezy kind that you pour your whole heart and all your memories into and my feet lifted from the ground a tiny bit. more smiles and chuckles, and then we sat with our separate parties but i was wholeheartedly pleased to see him. maybe because i haven't seen him in two years and even though we were never best friends or anything, we were pretty great pals and seeing him brought back all those good purple high school feelings, i don't know. i just know that i felt good to be reminded of our friendship.

But i guess really, both of these reunions made me happy just because it's nice to know that my friendship meant as much to them as it does to me.
because remember that i am really passionate about people? and so i assume they feel fantastically moderate about me, when i cherish them.

It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: