Monday, November 4, 2013

I know that voice

I have a really good memory. with people. and I'm passionate about people. I like them, and i like to know all about the people in my life because it helps me communicate with them and treat them how i would want to be treated - like they knew me.
anyway.
i like people.
and if i see someone on campus that i recognize, in about five seconds i will turn to Mallorie or Jaylene or whoever is walking with me and say, "see that girl? Her name is Jenny and she was in my Parenting class last fall. she's adopted and her little brother is on a mission in the Phillipines. She's from Wisconsin and her Mom is a librarian." and whoever i'm walking with will have a slightly creeped out/impressed face on wen they ask, "how do you know that?!"
i don't know, i just remember everything about everyone i meet and i don't forget people.

I also get really attached to people that barely even know me. like kids in my class that make really good comments, i respect them and i get happy when i see them around campus because even though i know they don't remember me, i remember them and how they uplifted me and i'm thankful for them. teachers, too.

today i had two of these moments:

1- I saw My child development professor, Brother Rarrick, today between classes and i beamed. he didn't see me but i spent a few minutes thinking about how much i LOVED that class and different he was as a teacher. he's the kind that makes you WANT to learn, to actually learn, not just regurgitate answers. He was great and i'm glad i saw him.

2- There is a boy that sits behind me in my New Testament class who looks eerily like my brother Derek's best friend Landon. Like, the first day of school i walked into class and did a double take. weird. Two weeks ago i found out that this boy's name was Landon, too, which just made it even more crazy. but I've never heard him talk before.

pause.

I also am REALLY good at recognizing voices. really good. and have you ever known some one so well, like you would definitely know their voice if you heard it coming from the next aisle over in the grocery store? i like that feeling, it makes me smile.

So today in New Testament, the professor called on Landon to answer a question. and chills went up my spine. Because he sounded Just. Like. Landon. JUST like him. and the weirdest part was that i didn't even know that i still remembered Landon's voice, you know? It's been years since i ever heard him talk, but the first sentence out of this boy's mouth and i was whisked back to the football stadium on Olive Street, stands packed, and a tall boy painted purple, screaming chants at the top of his lungs, laughing with his friends and singing the national anthem proudly (but extremely off key) before the games started.

strangest. sensation. ever.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: