Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dear Mom

This started out as an email to my mom to prove that i'm alive and give her some fun facts about BYUI life so far. then it turned into more than that, and i've called her inbetween the times where i have a minute to type. so anyway, here's college:

Hey guys, i go to the best school ever. And I have AWESOME room mates. it's crazy how much i love my classes and the school and the people after just a few days, but i do. Also, there's a guy who looks just like Harry Potter that is dating a girl who lives downstairs so i get to hear him talk all British whenever he goes over there because our windows are always open cause oh yeah it's like 65 degrees here all the time, be jealous. anyway, so i can hear them talking downstairs at the picnic tables. did i mention that they're BOTH BRITISH, cause yeah they are and it's awesome. they should get married. Also, There's a black guy in my Book of Mormon class, his name is mark and i'm going to be his friend because so far I've only counted like 5 black kids so i want to know him. I'm not starving! i have food, and I'm warm at night. it's like, perfect temperature all the time and i finally got my schedule perfectly worked out.
 My teachers are awesome and fun and I love that they are so in love with the gospel. I'm taking a "Beauty and Creativity" class - it's really 'intro to humanities' - and my teacher looks/ sounds just like Toby Flenderson from the office. YES. My Family professor is old and adorable and old. and old. did i mention that?...and I have that class with my brother Jonathan. my book of mormon teacher looks like this but he has a SWEET Georgia accent and I love his class SO flipping much. It's amazing and it's only Wednesday, dawgs. My science class is only two days a week (thank goodness) BUT my teacher is essentially professor Binns. And hey! My brother Donny is that class, what? My American Foundations class is flipping LEGIT and from what i hear, Professor Kivett is the best teacher on campus sooooo, 10 points for Gryffindor. AND, flip you guys, my ASL class is going to keep me on my toes. it's cray. she didn't speak at all until the last 5 minutes of class!! it was so wild!
 what else? devotionals are amazing. the entire campus literally shuts down every Tuesday at 2:00 and the devotionals are optional attendance, but seriously, it's worth it. I GOT A LAPTOP! IT'S ALL MINE! WOOT! :) Happy happy.
I just ate some tuna casserole, i'm wearing a koala sweater i stole from my dad and drinking water from my Darth Vader bottle. yomp.
My roommates and I are getting along swell. knock on wood. no drama yet, just lots of laughing and singing, 'Don't drop that Dun duh-duh' thanks Zane Veater. the apartment is already decorated with my doodles. and our ward seems really really cool. My bishop looks like Clint Eastwood.
No boys yet.
Taha.
for me. My room mate Donna is swimming in suitors.
but you know what? that's coo. i won't be looking for anything exclusive until about February 22....
puttin it out there.
anyway.
despite the lack of boys in my life, i sent my little sister a fifteen minute video giggling and fawning over a cute guy in my ward that i'm stalking on facebook. am i total creep? yep. NO SHAME.

I've called my mom like 346 times each day though. and i have a MOUNTAIN of homework to do tomorrow, but i have no school tomorrow so i'll have pleeeenty of time to do all that and put together a bookshelf. Also? I'll probably watch p.s. I love you and weep. for fun.

There are bells here. it seems like every fifteen minutes. I'm sure they'll get annoying after awhile but right now i love them. i hum along to all the hymns they play and i smile when i can hear them from my dorm. I LOVE that we pray at the beginning - and sometimes end - of every class. I love that every single subject, even science and history, is centered around Jesus Christ. I love going to school with kids who also signed the Honor code and are dedicated to living good, clean lives. Everyone seems so good and kind here, and the campus and buildings are SO CLEAN! (Fun fact:  BYUI is only a TINY bit bigger than Madera South, it just has hills and the buildings are squished together. so i'm used to it taking forever to get from class to class. everyone is complaining about that here. the thing that gets me are the hills. I'm not acclimated at all. but my cute new bike makes it easier!!) no one litters! and people smile at me when i walk past them, guys  open the doors, i watched a couple get engaged. a group of boys just walked around our Hall carrying a laptop and singing One Direction. Everyone wears ugly sweaters. I saw a BYU idaho fanny pack on my first day of school. That will be happening soon, for sure. I love it. and I love going to class and LEARNING. flip, i missed learning! It feels so good! and it's INCREDIBLE to be able to feel the spirit in all of my classes, and to mix the teachings of the Savior into every subject.
Older students have been saying, "oh, you'll get used to it. the rarity will wear off." But I hope i don't get used to it! I hope it doesn't ever wear off! I hope i never get desensitized to the spirit or the traditions here. I cannot believe the effect this school has had on me in just a few days.
GO TO BYU! or BYUI or BYUH or BYU Jerusalem or SVU! JUST DO IT! *cough* Jenae! *cough* it's SO worth it!
I'm lovin' life guys, twenty rocks.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: