Saturday, December 21, 2013

Last Day of Class Blues

{originally written on the 18th}

the most bittersweet of bittersweets is when i go to the last day of a class that i absolutely love. this semester i got lucky, i had plenty of good classes.

side rant:
I think it's a little ironic that at a private religious university, there are no religion degrees. I would be ALL over that. i think it's a little ridiculous that a student here is not allowed to take more than one religion course per semester without clearance from the department chair. I was a sneaky snake, went to my favorite religion teacher and got enrolled in 3 religion classes this semester, haha. New Testament, Family Foundations, and Lectures on Faith. but the department chair found out, arranged a meeting and wagged his finger at me. i had to drop Lectures on Faith, which was a bummer because i LOVED it. [seriously, the fastest hour of my life. every. time. and it was like a constant outpouring of knowledge, and we were just absolutely drinking the scriptures and exploring all this deep doctrine. I felt productive, like i was literally expanding my mind. but i didn't get to choose, i just got kicked out. The professor (who is one of my favorite people ever) said i could just come anyway, so i did for awhile, but it was my only class on tuesdays and thursdays and once i started getting in the swing of my other classes, it was just too hard to keep up with a class that i wasn't even actually taking along with my real ones. but ANYWAY.]

I only took 5 classes this semester:
New Testament 1
World Foundations 2 [it's a history class with strong emphasis on music and art through the ages, (AKA this class was MADE for ME) i took the first half last semester and LOVED it, so i finished the course this semester, and highly recommend it.]
Family Foundations (it's a religion class where we do an in-depth study of the Family: A Proclamation to the World)
Advanced Writing and Critical Thinking.
Math.

LET ME JUST SAY ABOUT MATH:
I HATE YOU, MATH.

and Family Foundations was good too, always made me happy. I love the Professor, and the content was interesting, and it's my major. My favorite part about that class was how much we sang. we always opened with a song, and frequently closed with one as well, because singing is praying, my professor says. which i whole HEARTEDLY agree with. 
On the last day of Family we sang FOUR hymns. one opening, one closing, and two at various points in the lesson. i LOVED it. plus, my roommate/best friend jaylene is in that class with me, and she can hit allllllllll of those high notes that i can't, so i swing for alto, and this kid behind us alternates between base and tenor every verse (my favorite) so it sounds good. yesterday we sang "How Firm a Foundation" which is one of my favorites anyway (original version here. sweet country version here) and we sang ALLLLL 8 verses, it was really long, and at the last verse, which is very powerful, we all (unspoken) decided to just belt it, and i swear the walls shook. it. was. incredible. and as it ended, chills ran up my spine. i breathed out at the same time as Jaylene next to me, and we smiled. our friend Steven next to us whispered, "I feel like i just ran a mile" and Brother Petersen, our professor said, "you just prayed a mile".
that made me happy.



narnia forever ^


i went to my New Testament and English classes for the last time today. tears all around.

I love my English professor. A fellow Tolkien and Potter nerd, an old man, AND he teaches a writing class? can't get any more perfect. he's great. we celebrated Durin's day on the 13th by drawing hobbit hair on our feet. (lliterally. what a cool guy!) there are honestly about 9 of us who come every single day of class, and then 5 or 6 others who come at least twice a week. the others are completely hit and miss. there were a couple guys who only showed up on days that we had to turn in papers. LOSERS. but i'm actually kind of grateful, because we (the 9-15 who were there pretty consistently) became actual-real life-beyond just English class- friends. I loved it. so that was a bummer saying goodbye.

I am thankful for Boyd Bagget, who was my tour guide through the Midwest in the spring, and my New Testament Professor this semester. in all honesty, that man is responsible for the fervor of one whole half of my beliefs. Thank you brother Bagget for helping me to finally know Joseph Smith the Prophet. Thank you for showing me around Nauvoo, for choking up with me when we couldn't go to Martin's Cove Wyoming, and for the morning you calmed me through a tornado.
And thank you for these past few months of uplifting lessons and for providing opportunities for me to learn about Jesus Christ's ministry and miracles.
thank you for helping me come to finally know my Savior, and love Him like i should. I can never thank you enough for that.

Oh Rexburg, i always miss you when i'm away. you have always made me happy.
I'm sad to leave Donny, Christine and Evelyn. Ev is my tiny best friend.
they're perfect.

and of course, i will miss the snow and Hoar frost, my two favorite things about non-Christmas winter.

sideways pictures of holiday decorations = awesome, obviously.










*sigh*
peace out T-rex. see you in spring.





No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: