Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Work

So guys, I'm officially a college student. Wanna know why?

- Midterms are in 2 weeks. MIDTERMS! HALF WAY DONE, what?

- I've stayed up until 3 every weekday for the past week and a half. UGH. i am always tired, which is awful. and i try to sleep in on Saturdays but i feel gross if i sleep in too late. I don't have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays until second block but i wake up at the normal time to go to the temple or work out. and by "work out" i mean put on my BYUI issued PE clothes and walk up and down the stairs. and then I tell my self that i'm going to use the running machine thing in the lounge. haha. that hasn't happened yet. and then i shower. for like forty five minutes because i don't pay extra for water. so I stay in for long periods of time, singing at the top of my lungs because i'm home alone.

- I got asked on my first college date. a REAL one. actually....they didn't call it a date. ha. but we're going to a dang opera so i say that counts. don't freak out mom, no RMs. I ain't thirsty.

-also i failed my first test. well kind of, My professor let everyone retake it because he asked the questions weirdly. and then i got 100%

so now for the meat and potatoes of this post. two things:

1. I have a favorite CD. and i haven't heard it in MONTHS because it mysteriously disappeared after i listened to it nonstop for three weeks. certain siblings hide things that bug him...
anyway, lately I've been cravin' some David Osmond singin' my favorite song ever. and as made obvious by the link, i found it on youtube. but my other favorite songs from that album aren't on youtube!! so i may or may not have splurged and bought the album on amazon. and i cried listening to the CD because gosh...I can just picture rollin on the back roads in Madera to this CD. I was obsessed. still am. anyway, this CD made this already 20 rock day (the first 20 rock day since i started college! woot!) even better, if that's possible. I love the gospel of Christ. which brings me to the second thing.


2. this past weekend was the General Conference of my church. along with some incredible words of prophets and apostles, an announcement was made (3:18) that the age of eligibility for missionaries in our church was changed! The boy's age was lowered from 19 to 18, and For girls it was lowered from 21 to 19! which is CRAZY! when i heard it, i couldn't believe it. and i ran into the living room only to see my roommates freaking out as well so i ran next door where my best friend from home lives and i cried because i was so happy for her! She's wanted to go on a mission forever, but since girls didn't serve until they were atleast 21, that meant that they weren't home until they were 23 or older, which is not old at all. but in mormon culture, it's kind of like: marriage OR mission. But now, it can totally be both! you can leave at 19, be gone for 18 months and be back at 20 before you could have even started previously!and that is HUGE in our tiny little rexburg mormon town haha. literally half of my dorm building either has an interview scheduled for this Sunday to start their mission papers, or will be starting them within the next few months. Two of my roommates are for sure going, and I am so excited for them! three of the girls next door are going, including my very best friend Mallorie, and i could literally go on and on naming all the 18 year old boys who are rushing to turn their papers in, and all the 18 year old girls who are rushing to start. I am SO excited for them! and it is really humbling to see so many of my friends willing to give up two years to serve God.

a LOT of people asked me what i was going to do. and obviously, the question came up in my own mind as soon as i heard the announcement.

and my initial reaction was: heck yes i'm going! but i wasn't about to shout it out on facebook or call all my friends from home. I wasn't 100% sure. I wasn't even 50% sure. i got to thinking, 'am i considering this just because it's exciting and new? just because i can? or am i considering this because it's what i need in my life?'.  I prayed and got a pretty quick answer. and without going into detail, it was that the man upstairs would love for me to serve a mission, but it's up to me. And as long as i'm choosing the right, He'll be fine with whatever i do.

so long story short? As of right now, I'm not serving a mission. maybe by the time my 19th birthday rolls around, I'll have a different answer. But there are other things planned for me i think.
But just because i'm not going on a mission doesn't mean i can't be a missionary. and it doesn't mean you can kick me out of your mission prep class Bo Garland! I was already going before the age change, I'm still going afterward. Regardless of how many bubbly girls crowd in. And i'm super excited for all y'all who are gonna serve! I admire you so much! I'll write ya letters. for sure.


also, on a not serious note:
I've two packages this week, what? I feel so loved! even if one was just my absentee ballot! ha.

Happy Thursday peeps.

1 comment :

  1. I am so proud of your decision!! As supportive as I am of girls serving missions I am SO MUCH MORE supportive of following the spirit instead of the crowd!! you can and will be a missionary where ever you are!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes: