Monday, May 21, 2012

Birthday Dinner

After my super fun day at school, I went to a friends house to watch old showcase material. drama lingo for old performances. I forgot how amazing our drama program is. Mrs.Latimer is incredible, but we'll save that  rant for my prom post.
While i was watching the old one Act, Derek was telling me to come home because he had yet another surprise for me, so i took off. 
Derek said we were going to dinner and I'm not gonna lie, i was a little annoyed. because I had just opened my presents and i had already changed into my lounge clothes and put my hair in an unattractive bun/braid thing and i didn't feel like getting dressed up, which Derek said was required.
But he kept pressing the issue, so i went and changed into my new dress from Mufasa.
And then Derek said i didn't have to wear a dress, but i didn't want to change back into pants. 
He was kind of hurrying me, so i just kind of rinsed my face and hoped no one would see me because i wasn't wearing make up. And i put my hair in a little kid braid. 
I basically looked all kinds of disgusting.
And i was kind of annoyed, but i knew i was being rude, so i sucked it up.
But then Derek wrapped a bandanna around my face.
and he tried to trick me by taking an obscure way out of the neighborhood but I knew exactly where we were, and that made him mad, so he did a bunch of random donuts and confused me.


After what seemed like uhmmm, hours? we stopped and Derek turned off the car. then he told me not to get out yet. so i didn't. 
And i heard him talking to other deep voices outside. and then i was mad because i knew they were boys. and Derek didn't let me put on make up. Derek opened the door and told me to get out but i was embarrassed so I stayed in the car and then someone, i still don't know who, haha, pulled me out of the car. so i took off the head band and died.
Derek, Jonathan, Brandon, Jason and Stephen all stood around me, smiling their dang heads off.
I was thoroughly blushing. 

turns out, my sneaky snake mom had planned the whole thing. Derek and Jonathan left and the boys took me inside the restaurant. first off all, i love cowboy food. So mom, Cool Hand Luke's was the uhm, el perfect choice. and? they only play country music. love. At first, i felt awkward but as soon as i remembered that these boys honestly don't care what i look like, i was over it.

all i can is, is love them.
they are my best friends in the whole world and they get me better than anyone else.
I've ranted about them so. many. times. haha
we got to really talk. really talk. for hours, it was wonderful.
I joked about how much our meal told about us.

Jason got steak-looking meat.
Because he is super white and buff and white. and his dad is a farmer, too.


Stephen got a super crazy salad because he's a tennis stud. ZAP! PURPLE!
with pepper, because he's Mexican.


and i like that me and Brandon got the same meal because we're twins.



We talked about school. and boys. and our futures. and boys. and stupid high school drama......and boys. we laughed. So much.
and they forced me to eat calamari, despite my (COMPLETELY RATIONAL) fear/ hatred of sea food.
and we had those perfectly vulnerable, but totally necessary conversations about our dreams. what we truly want. and how we're gonna get there. 
we joked about our future spouses. and how I need to find the prefect blend of these three boys.
We remembered a lot of things.
and i punched Brandon 52 times for not having thanksgiving at his aunt's house in Idaho.
and we smiled a lot. and i cried. 
and i just looked at them and let it sink in. that we're leaving. that this is it. this is the last time we'll be together - just us. only us. the last time we'll leave everything else outside for a few hours while we laugh and reminisce and just sit contently with each other.

I made a wish

 and Stephen took play by play pictures because, i like to document everything but i couldn't do it. ha. which is good, because i always take a million pictures of everyone else and no pictures of myself.
and then i made them finish my ice cream because i couldn't eat it all.

and then came the last surprise of the day. and probably the best surprise.
they got me a present. 
the perfect present. 
and cards. the perfect cards.

one was a super cool Dr.Seuss card that played a drum beat, and then the person who opens the card blows into the mouth of a trumpet looking thing and the melody starts. so flipping cool. I died.

The second card had a spinning exclamation point and the card sang, "shout". which we all love. And they all wrote the perfect things. and I cried. And i love them.



And then the sneaky snakes brought out a present! I put it on my head to guess what it is, because it's a tradition. and it was super heavy! so i opened it to find Swedish fish, which i love. 
Red dye #40.
aka? crack cocaine.

the actual present has a back story. the other Day we were all talking in the morning in the parking lot and we were dreaming of a digital Polaroid camera. or any Polaroid in general, because i love taking pictures. Even if I'm not a great photographer or anything, i just think taking pictures is the funnest thing ever.
I opened the present.
a dang Polaroid camera.




I made them take a picture for my dorm room.
they're so handsome, my brothers! and they look so happy! I love them so much, i honestly can't explain it. there's no possible way to put into words how I care for them. 




you can imagine my excitement!
I couldn't believe it!
we won't even talk about how expensive it must have been. especially to get it here in two days! what the?! they're wild! It's ridiculous how well they know me.

 Brandon opened the plastic thingy on the outside because he's a boy scout.

 one more talk, some deep moments, i love yous and a few of my tears later, it was time to go.
this a terrible picture of us, and it was awkward because the waitress had no idea how to use a camera. But i don't even care because they're just amazing.


walking out to the car, I tried to thank them.
but how could I even do that? How can you thank someone for fourteen years of friendship? fourteen years of birthdays and recess and school projects. Teachers we loved and teachers we hated. How do you say thank you for changing your life? for molding you, for correcting you, and humbling you. How do you say thank you for the countless smiles they've given you and all the times they've been there when no one else was. All the times they walked you to class, or even just waved to you from across campus. 
they have no idea the impact they've had on me. 
they don't know about all the times they absent mindedly (pretty sure that's not a real word.) made my day. or saved me from having a bad day. all the times they were late to class just so we could talk for 30 more seconds. all the times they've put me on their shoulders. literally and figuratively. 
They can never know how grateful i will be for them. 
Because of them, I am Melissa! they made me who i am. they have loved me unconditionally all my life. they always complimented me. even when i wear ridiculous things. even when I come to school one day with hair as short as my ears. Even when i made stupid decisions. they were there. always.
and I know they always be.
They're incredible. I could have never made it this far with out them and i promise, my freshman year is going to be ridiculously hard without Jason distracting me from my problems, or Stephen making me laugh it off, or Brandon smacking my head and reminding me to look at the big picture.
so thank you, boys. for just being my friends.
For taking me from crayons to college.
for helping me be comfortable with myself and not caring about what anyone else thinks.
Thank you for teaching me what kind of a girl to be. and what not to be.
Thank you for showing me all the things i want in a guy. and all the things i don't want in a guy.
Thank you for punking out various guys that I've liked... and for warning me about others even when i didn't want to hear it. For being there when I was wrong, and you were right, but never once said i told you so'. 

Thank you for reading my mind, and being clueless. For knowing everything about me, and reminding me what i truly want for myself and my future. For being my best friends, my constant go-to's and never wavering confidants. for being my Berenda Brothers.

and even though there is absolutely no way of adequately saying thank you for everything you've ever done for me over the years,

Thank you.

and even thought there is no possible way of saying how much i love you, 

I love you.

-Mel

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: