Monday, September 9, 2013

Parley Street

On the afternoon of May 18, 2013 I was standing outside of the blacksmith shop on Parley street in Nauvoo, Illinois. I looked out at the Mississippi river and pictured thousands of people, driven from their homes in the dead of winter, walking across the frozen river. I turned and looked back at the beautiful temple on the hill. And then I had a strong thought, "God restored His power to Joseph Smith. Joseph was a Prophet." I looked back at the Mississippi and continued to myself, "But the authority and power didn't stop there. God's Priesthood crossed the Mississippi with the Apostles. We still have Apostles and a Prophet today because the saints here in Nauvoo had the courage to leave their beautiful city."

I don't know why it is so important to me, but I reflect on that moment often.

As a mormon, I believe that God has called, and will continue to call men to be His Prophet and Apostles to lead His children on earth.
Because of personal study and prayer, I know these men are Apostles and Prophets. They are called of God, I know it. I have felt it in my heart.

Next month, on the first weekend of October my church is having a semi annual conference. The conference is broadcast all over the world. For anyone and everyone to see. There, our Prophet and Apostles, along with many other wonderful men and women, speak to us. They counsel us and teach us about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am thrilled.

I love the general conferences of my church. They are uplifting, inspiring and provide amazing study material for the next 6 months. I believe these men and women to be called of God and I believe that their words are inspired. Just for me, maybe.

And I cannot wait to hear what God has to say to me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: