Monday, October 20, 2014

like third grade

Tonight we played kickball on the upper fields and i was the permanent catcher because i forgot my inhaler, also because crocs + kickball = not smart.

I got to stand and watch all the friends i've made this semester run around like crazy people and kick a giant red ball back and forth.
it sooooared through the air and whizzed over the turf and we all laughed and sprinted and danced.

I love the meaningless chatter that happens all over the field because it reminds me of "Back Yard Baseball" the computer game that Derek and i were obsessed with in 2003. "Come on, I'm growin' a beard out here, waiting for some action!"

i just love to smile and these people make me smile

and running around in the cold air like that, throwing a red kickball whisks me back to the worn out field at Berenda Elementary school and the rusting metal soccer goal that we used as a backstop behind home base. In my mind's eye i see chubby Stephen with new glasses, and the january crispness shows his breath as he encourages me right before i make my kick. I remember that my short hair was finally growing out past my shoulders, so i could put it in a ponytail and i can hear Brandon cheering me on as i rounded 3rd base and sprinted home. Joey insisting he play shortstop. Jason being really serious about it all as if we were on ESPN.

I could almost feel the cold desk on my warm forehead after recess and the smell of frost-covered grass on my old blue adidas.

tonight felt like third grade and i really loved it. my hair was even in a low ponytail and everything.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: