Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reunion: Grammy


My great-grandmother Louise Cobb died this summer, and the whole point of our family gathering in St. George was to attend a celebration of her life on Saturday afternoon.

We called her grammy. 
and i was very fortunate to grow up knowing her. 

she supported us and loved us in her own special ways. 
she cared for us and sincerely tried her best to be a part of our lives. 
She taught us and shared sage wisdom. 

she was a courageous woman and i'm proud to be of her lineage. I come from a grand string of courageous women. 




the graveside memorial was very sweet. it focused on family, memories, and love. there were a lot of happy, reminiscent tears shed. she was an influential woman, and stories were shared about all of her life, not just the rosy parts. 

I was thankful for the opportunity to gather with my extended family and feel the love we shared for this matriarch. And to feel the power we gave each other in reuniting.
we sang "Families Can Be Together Forever" and i felt a deep warmth in my heart. i was surrounded by my siblings, beloved cousins, aunts, and uncles who care about me more than can be said. I feel the same toward them and as we sang, i knew we could all feel that. 

I do know that families can be together forever through Heavenly Father's Plan.
I always want to be with my own family and the Lord has shown me how i can.
and i'm going to keep on being my best me so that we can get there.

it is my truest desire.



after the service, we ate together at a nearby buffet. It was great fun to be with our cousins and catch up. I also selfishly enjoyed being with Derek because i miss being around him so often. 

I warned you that i took a lot of stalker photos, hahaha:

(Derek and Raycelan holding hands in the car)

plus, buffets are fun in general. this picture is of my dad making the two sections of his tie have a 'race'. classic dad joke, you guys. Caleb fell for it hook line and sinker. natalie thought it was the funnies joke she'd ever heard.


 I am sad that Grammy had to be so sick for so long, but thankful that she is no longer in pain. and I'm so glad that she is with her dear Carl again after fifteen years apart, him above and her still here.
now they are together again at last, and i'm grateful for that. 

and I appreciated the opportunity we had to spend a day in memory and gratitude of this brave woman, who is the reason we're all One in the first place.

I love you, Grammy!

see you soon, 

Melissa Michiale

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: