Tuesday, April 2, 2013

reading list

A friend asked if I was reading any books. I told her 12, but she didn't believe me, so I sent her this picture. Haha. at any given time there are probably three or four books in/next to my bed. mostly in it, under my pillow. right now there are more than usual. they're all really great though:

starting from the bottom up:

1. the April edition of the New Era, my favorite magazine.

2. Then "Of Pigs, Pearls and Prodigals" by John Bytheway. It goes through all the parables of Jesus in the New Testament. I bought at time out for women last month, mostly because he talks about the parable of the ten virgins, but i'm SO glad i bought it, because the whole thing is really good. I'm about a third way through.

3."The Secret Diary of Brett Colton" by Kay Lynn Magnum. one of my absolute FAVORITES. I re-read every spring. It's about a boy who dies of Leukemia but while he was sick, he wrote a journal to his baby sister. She finds it on her sixteenth birthday and UGH, it gets me every time. I honestly cry every single time. Never gets old. It's SO sweet, and love brother sister stories anyway. only a few chapters in this time around.

4. That's my journal from January-mid March of this year. journaling is it's own post entirely.

5. "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. don't even get me STARTED. I love this book. i re-read it whenever I have a bad day. just a couple chapters and i feel better. I'm about half way through because when i get started i can't stop. haha

6."Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Derek tol me over the summer that i needed to read it. and the movie is coming out, so i figured, why not? one chapter in. ha. it's a little strange. I'll prolly like it, though.

7. "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis. Decided to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia and technically this is the 'first' story. I still think the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe will always be my favorite. The Magician's Nephew is a lot different than when i read it as a fourth grader. I'm catching more of  the humor, but i'm not as gripped by the action as i was as a nine year old.

8. "Life as we knew it" by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I read this sophomore year of high school and liked it enough. it's a trilogy and the sequel wasn't great. my favorite book is the third. The series isn't necessarily great but i think it's very interesting and there are all of these tiny details that i think about all the time. like gathering half empty hotel shampoo bottles from the neighbor's abandoned bathroom.

9. Les Miserables by victor Hugo. (the abridged version) I decided to just start over every time i finish. hahaha just a continuous loop of Hugo. It's a good life.

10. That's my current journal. it's gold. I got it at tie out for women. and I loooove it.

11. Small and Simple Things by Marjorie Pay Hinckley. Just one of the ones i always have around to get some perspective.

12. Not pictured? The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So good.  course study for Sunday school this year, and I like it. It was also course study my Junior year of seminary, but i haven't really read it since then, so it's a really cool experience.


Oh and those are my treasured pens. the blue Bic ball point is actually black ink, and it's for annotations. The black pen is my Smash pen that i journal with. I love. It.


and that's my reading list. 
Happy Tuesday! :)

1 comment :

Love Notes: