Monday, March 18, 2013

Donald Handly

I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to a man that I've never met, but who i have felt the influence of all through my life.

My Dad's best friend would have been 56 today.
My father and Donald Handly were best friends, brothers even.
The fall after his senior year, Don was killed in a solo car crash coming home from BYU for thanksgiving.

My oldest brother, the first son, is named Donald Handly Hansen, we call him Donny.
Strange that Derek's best friend Landon was also killed in a solo car crash going back to school after thanksgiving break his first year of college. A bond that He and my dad have the misfortune of sharing. 

I never knew Don, but i feel like i know him, because I've heard of him my entire life. today is his birthday, St.Patrick's day. 
It's interesting to me the role that Don Handly has played in my life. 
He's been an example of courage and integrity and faith. Of a friend, a brother and a son. Seeing Don's senior portrait on my dad's mirror every day, and hearing endless stories of Don and Dad's good ol' days in Chowchilla has made me want to always be the best friend and example that i can be, because you never know when it's gone. 

I can't wait to meet Don someday. 
I'm grateful that through Jesus Christ, we can all live again.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Love Notes: